600 gm beef rump, trimmed
400 gm udon noodles, separated
2 tsp oil
2 carrots, cut into fine shreds
1 red capsicum, cut into fine shreds
1 bunch choy sum, trimmed
6 cm piece of ginger, cut into fine shreds
½ small Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
Juice of 2 limes
2 spring onions, finely shredded
2 tsp sesame seeds
- Set the oven to 150°C. Season the beef cheeks and place into a preheated pan with two tablespoons of olive oil and brown well on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a heavy braising pan, adding the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil, garlic and chorizo. Stir well and cook for several minutes, then add in the diced shallots. Brown slightly, and then add in the thyme leaves, celery, carrots and mushrooms.
- When lightly browned, push the mix to the sides and add in the tomato paste to the cleared middle of the pan, stirring well and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in the red wine and stir well to loosen all the sediments on the bottom. Combine in the tomatoes, stock and crushed juniper berries. Place the browned beef cheeks into the sauce, cover and place into the oven. Cook slowly for 4 hours or until succulent and tender.
- Pickled carrots; combine in a saucepan, 1 cup water, ¾ cup white wine vinegar and ¼ cup castor sugar. Bring to a boil and pour over the thinly sliced carrots. Allow to cool then store in the fridge.